If you are like most Americans, you love your car and want to keep it running healthy and happy. A big part of that is keeping the transmission healthy and happy. There are few things on your car that are more expensive than when you need transmission repairs. The good news when it comes auto repairs is that most can be prevented with some proper care and maintenance.
You Will Not Need Transmission Repairs if You:
- Check your transmission fluid level. Like your car’s oil, the levels of your transmission fluid need to be checked on a regular basis. You need to keep enough in your car. Many transmission repairs come because people do not check this enough. When you check the fluid levels, you should also make sure it does not smell bad or is dirty. If yours is not an automatic transmission, you should have a transmission repair expert check this for you.
- Do not put too much transmission fluid in your car. If you do not know how much transmission fluid your car needs or how to check the transmission fluid level, you should ask the dealership or your local car mechanic. You can also check your owner’s manual. Sometimes people think that they should just put a ton of transmission fluid in your car but too much of this is never a good thing.
- Have your transmission flushed. Nearly 90% of all problems that result in expensive transmission repairs are caused by overheating, according to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association (ATRA). A lot of the time, when a transmission overheats it is because it has become worn out. This often happens when people have problems with their transmission and need to have it replaced but, for whatever reason, do not have that done.
- Change your transmission filter. Every 30,000 miles, your transmission’s filter needs to be replaced. This is also a good time to have the transmission fluid checked and/or replaced. You should read your owner’s manual to see if yours needs to be checked more often.
- Pay attention to your transmission. You should have an expert look over your transmission every now and again to make sure it is running the way it should.
What You Should Look Out for:
- Puddles that form under the car. When you move your car, if you see pink or brown puddles underneath your vehicle, you may be leaking transmission fluid. This happens when you have a gasket that is faulty or if there is a problem with one of the seals. Any time you think you may have a leak, you should take your car to be looked at by an experts in car repairs.
- The way your transmission operates seems to change. It can be hard to explain but if you notice your transmission hesitates or slips while you are driving your car, you may be in for transmission repairs. If you pay close attention to your car and your transmission, you can catch problems before they become large and unmanageable.
- Anytime you notice any new or strange sounds, you may have a problem. One way people discover they need transmission repairs when they hear noises they do not recognize. If you heard any clunking or thumping, that is a clear sign that you need some transmission repair. Grinding noises from a manual transmission can indicate a problem with the clutch.
- Pay attention to your car’s lights. If you see the O/D light become illuminated, you should have your car checked by the auto repair shop. Most cars have lights to indicate a host of issues with your car. Whenever you see any of the lights on your dashboard go on, you should make sure you have the car looked at.
- You smell something strange. If your car starts smelling like something is burning, it is probably a problem with your transmission. It could just be that there is not enough transmission fluid in the car. Start by checking the level of your transmission fluid. If that does not fix it, have your car looked at.
Transmission repairs can be expensive. If you spend some time and pay attention to your car’s transmission and you can avoid needing to have it repaired.