This is one of the busiest of times for used car dealers. As parents get ready to send their high school graduates off to college many of them are looking for an affordable and reliable used car to make the trip to campus. And while many used car dealers may have the affordable used cars and used trucks that some parents are interested in, the reliability of the vehicle is even more important. In fact, finding a dealership that has a reputation of selling well maintained pre-owned cars is a goal for many buyers.
And while it is always important to find a reliable vehicle, the stakes can seem even higher if you are getting ready to send someone off to college hundreds of miles away from home. Knowing that your college student will have a safe drive home for the holidays or that they can get to and from off campus jobs without a problem is a welcome relief to many parents.
Used Car Dealers Offer a Variety of Options in Both Prices and Models
The latest research indicates that the average vehicle will most likely have three owners in its lifetime. In fact, research from a 2015 Used Vehicle Market Report indicated that there were 38.3 million used-vehicle sales industrywide. This was the best annual tally in the previous eight years. Consider some of these other facts and figures about the used vehicle industry and the impact that it has on the nation’s economy:
- If a buyer is planning to buy a vehicle that is less than five years old, they should consider one that is certified pre-owned (CPO).
- Nearly 40 million used cars exchange hands each year between private-party and dealership sales.
- Automatic transmissions outnumber manual 10 to one in the market for used vehicles.
- In the year 2014, the number of people with a driver’s license in the U.S. grew from 167 million to 214 million.
- Consumers lose as much as $4 billion a year because of odometer fraud, with the average rollback being as much as 15,000 miles.
- Unfortunately, 20% of used car buyers do not take the opportunity to test drive the car before buying it
Finding the right car is often the next step after finding the right college, so it is important to make sure that you work with reliable and trusted used car dealers.